Saturday, October 2, 2010

Right or Wrong angle?

h) Geometric Thinking
Geometry relates to spatial sense in recognition to shapes and structures found in the environment. Young children learn about and use their knowledge of two and three-dimensional shapes when given the opportunity to create designs with pattern blocks; draw, paint and cut shapes for their artwork; organize blocks by sorting them; and locate shapes in outdoor settings.
By kindergarten age, children identify, classify, compare and analyze characteristics, properties and relationships of one-, two- and three-dimensional geometric figures and objects. Kindergarteners use spatial reasoning, properties of geometric objects and transformations to analyze mathematical situations and solve problems.


In van Hiele’s levels of geometric thought, early learners belong to the Visualisation Level (Level 0). As they are concrete learners, they engage in observing, feeling, building, taking apart, or working with shapes. Though they may be able to identify some properties of shapes at this level, it is only in an informal, observational manner.

I liked geometry in school, and I can reminisce the times where I would score on that topic as compared to others. Unfortunately that wasn’t the case during Dr. Yeap’s session on geometry.. I realized I lost touch completely! I couldn’t recall the total angles within a pentagon, and kept thinking it was 360ยบ. Another way taught was also to see the triangles within the pentagon, which I don’t know if my eyes were wearing down on me (excuses..) or my memory is failing (ok, it’s the latter..). But still, it was amazing to see that we can actually come up with the formula once we can see the pattern!

No comments:

Post a Comment